Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce
in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video
from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As Toptal’s VP of Communications, you will be the central leader responsible for increasing awareness of and building credibility for Toptal. You will be the authority and driver on all news stories and trending topics within spaces relevant to the Toptal business. You will help build, shape, and protect the Toptal brand.
You will be at the forefront of one of the most important and relevant conversations happening in the media today: employment, jobs, work, the talent economy, the future of work, and the digital economy. By working with the PR Team and key leaders around the organization, you will drive and close PR opportunities for relevant initiatives across the Toptal organization. You will manage external media and PR relationships while understanding how their needs and interests overlap with Toptal’s goals.
To succeed in this role, you must be a strong executive leader who excels at building relationships with relevant members of media, brands, and thought leaders across Toptal’s audiences. Your creativity and ability to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes with top-tier media will ensure Toptal’s public image reflects our focus on quality.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will integrate into all relevant areas of Toptal and work with key leaders to build and execute PR strategies that accelerate ongoing and upcoming initiatives. You will be the primary custodian of the Toptal brand with media, analysts, and other third parties. You will monitor all Toptal mentions by the outside world, ensuring the brand is properly represented and building relationships as appropriate.
You will evaluate which members of media, academics, analysts, partners, and more are relevant to Toptal, and will devise and execute creative strategies for building relationships with them.
You will fully manage the pitch ideation, asset development, and publishing processes. You will build the standards, processes, infrastructure, and team needed to scale a world-class PR function driving value at a high-growth organization from the ground up.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Understand the fundamentals of Toptal’s PR operations.
- Meet with key executives to understand their perceptions of Toptal and its importance within media areas.
In the first month you will:
- Go through deeper onboardings in key areas of the company for which PR is of strategic importance, including beginning to do real work with the associated team leads and individual contributors.
- Onboard onto ongoing and upcoming initiatives that are relevant to PR.
- Plan out your roadmap for the future of PR at Toptal.
- Drive Toptal’s pitch ideation and development process.
In the first three months you will:
- Begin executing your PR roadmap, setting up your team for high standards, durability, and scale.
- Take over and manage all media relationships and coordinate with internal stakeholders on relevant opportunities.
- Drive real impact for Toptal, building its reach and credibility for all its audiences, with a particular focus on enterprise and the future of work.
In the first six months you will:
- Build and execute strategies for long-term relationship building and media engagement.
- Set up Toptal’s long-term initiatives for successful PR launches.
- Work with Toptal’s CEO and other spokespeople in the organization to prepare for public appearances, align messaging, and further the brand.
- Be fully responsible for all Toptal PR and media communications and relationships.
- You must be an obsessive consumer of news and media.
- A background in journalism and media at a top-tier organization is strongly preferred.
- A proven record of PR leadership in high-growth organizations is strongly preferred.
- You must excel at critically evaluating business initiatives and translating them into compelling media stories.
- You must excel at building relationships from scratch with members of media across all backgrounds and industries.
- High emotional intelligence and an empathetic understanding of the needs, biases, and capabilities of others.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for Toptal’s public image.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- Experience in academic research and/or writing of some form from a top university is preferred.
- You must be a relentless, creative problem solver who is unwilling to compromise on the clarity and impact of content.
- You must have outstanding written and verbal communications skills, as well as perfect grammar and command of the English language.
- You must be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.