Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Drive the design, development, and testing of Mapbox tooling for triaging and applying fixes for customer’s feedback as well as applying corrections on the top of third party data;
- Establish operational metrics that ensure your tools are performing as expected and drive improvements over time
- Collaborate with in-house editors team to understand their workflows and gather feedback
- Solve complex workflow problems and implement enhancements in frontend and backend services based on metrics, user feedback, and evolving business requirements
- Maintain documentation for your services
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 3+ years of experience as a full-stack engineer
- Experience with server-side development in Node.js, Express.js
- Experience with one of the following databases - Postgres, MySQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB
- Familiarity with modern frontend best practices (build systems, continuous testing, etc)
- Experience with project management tools and Git
- Good understanding how to build robust software
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills. Mapbox has offices in the USA, Finland, China and Belarus. You should communicate about complex ideas concisely to an audience worldwide. Similarly, you should explain your work in detail and walk through decisions with teammates and collaborators
- Self-directed, driven, and sharp. You'll be surrounded by teammates with deep experience in strategy, data, code, and design, but we expect to be learning just as much from you
Would be a plus
- Experience with WebGL or comprehensive image rendering in browser
- Experience with cloud services (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud) and associated technology (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Python or Bash experience
- Experience with type-checking - Typescript, Flow
- Experience with testing frameworks - Jest, Mocha, Sinon, Chai, Nock
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity