Kontur is a US startup developing a geospatial analytics platform that uses AI and innovative mapping technologies to provide our clients with visual, location-aware intelligence, particularly in the disaster management space. We're helping companies, governments, and communities reduce the impact of natural disasters and provide the help and resources to those who need them the most.
Kontur is looking for a Back-end Engineer for the work-from-home team in Minsk.
Why would you want to join?
- We are helping actual people. Our solutions are already being used by such organizations as Pacific Disaster Center, Beacon NGO, and Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team in the real cases of natural and human-made disasters. Knowing that the feature you've been working on will help save lives is priceless.
- Technical challenge. You will be participating in framework development, data engineering, programming geospatial components.
- Unmatched expertise. You will be working alongside the GIS community leaders, seasoned tech visionaries, entrepreneurs, engineers and tech leaders with decades of experience.
- Flexibility. We believe that only in a comfortable and safe environment we can perform at our best. That's why we have a flexible schedule and avoid overtime work. The healthy and friendly atmosphere in the company is something we truly value and are proud of.
Duties and responsibilities
As part of the backend team, you will be working with product development, spatial data analysts, and front-end developers to design, implement and deploy resilient data processing pipelines, APIs, and tools to serve in-house and client users. You will be solving the challenges of bringing together many online geospatial data sources, transforming and managing them in the system and presenting resulting intelligence to the consumers.
As a Backend Engineer, you will take responsibility for significant parts of the Kontur Platform and applications built on top of it. You will often need to go outside the “Java box" to implement data solutions with SQL, shell scripting, python scripts, and other means best for the task.
Our technology stack is diverse and includes things such as Java 11, MyBatis, Spring Boot, Bootique.io, PostgreSQL (we're committers for h3_pg, and PostGIS), GNU Make, Python, osmium, pgRouting, OSRM. Deployments are done in a hybrid cloud environment, with Docker and Gitlab CI/CD. Front-end is written in ReactJS, TypeScript, and uses Mapbox GL JS.
Things we seek
- A mature developer with substantial experience in Java and SQL.
- Good general understanding of geometry and spatial relations.
- Communication skills: we're running as a remote team now.
- Knowledge of the core engineering concepts, data structures, algorithms, and best practices.
- Expertise designing complex applications, REST APIs, databases, data pipelines
- Understanding of modern deployment practices, experience managing applications in both development and production environments.
Things that will set you apart
- Experience with GIS systems.
- Experience with data engineering.
- Front End development experience would be a HUGE plus (preferably with React).
- DevOps experience.
- Python, C/C++.