What we do, and why we do it
The banking system is evolving to give consumers the transparency, control and financial wellbeing they deserve. In a world where technology can change how we live for the better, there is no reason to be burdened by legacy systems, bureaucracy and mediocrity. It’s time for a change, and you can be part of this revolution!
BigPay is everything you wish your bank was: fair, transparent, frictionless. We went back to the drawing board to explore how new technologies could bring power back to you. Our goal is to solve real world money problems for millions of people by empowering them, and providing a simple interface for users to send, receive and track their money
Life at BigPay
We’re fast, curious and ambitious. We are on a fearless adventure to change financial services for consumers, and we value ownership, initiative and leadership from everyone in the company. We’re going out of our way to recruit the most intelligent, creative and talented people in the world. We want innovators, and that means maintaining an environment where they can flourish. Our only boss is the consumer. BigPay values highly collaborative, hard working people, who can deconstruct problems on the fly and take the team with them, while being inventive, iterative and agile. We never want to reach a stage where you are not challenged on a daily basis – because it means we’re not going fast enough.
- Join a fearless adventure, where your opinion and input is highly contributional.
- Work in a fast paced, growing company where you will be empowered to succeed.
- An environment where you can challenge and be challenged.
- You will be surrounded by a multidisciplinary group of experts.
- Competitive salary & benefits.
We’re looking for:
We are looking for highly motivated, self-starting, world-class backend developers to take a leading role in engineering our data processing and back-office systems.
About the job:
As an early hire, you’ll have significant input into the direction of our backend development.
Your task will be to:
- Code greenfield solutions on customer-facing and backend systems.
- Add new features to existing code.
- Refactor and update our systems for improved technology use and efficiency.
- Expand and architect systems to work effectively across widely separated compute and storage clusters.
- You’ll be interacting with product development, risk, fraud, and systems to keep our products up to date, secure and effective.
- Our technology stack is based on Java 8 with Spring on the backend, AngularJS, Java/Kotlin, and Swift/Objective-C on the frontend/app. We run on Kubernetes and automate as much as we can.
We aren’t religious about our tools and we’ll readily adopt new techniques if they can help produce a more effective product.
The work is interesting and challenging. With few legacy systems to deal with, this is a fantastic opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology and to help develop our backend infrastructure.
To be successful
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree or above in Computer Science / Math’s / Physics or similar from a leading University
- You will need to be proactive and bright, able to build effective systems quickly and correctly, act on your own initiative and help grow the team and both yours and our capabilities at considerable speed.
- Good working knowledge of Spring, Kubernetes, distributed systems and algorithmics, SQL (and database systems more generally), microservices, python and the git revision control system.
- Ideally you would have experience of working in development, however we will consider graduate applications.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal
- We’d like you to have a good working knowledge of app development, of computer science concepts, python, and some design expertise would be useful.
- Payment and financial systems experience would be helpful but is not essential