Do you want to work on a high volume server-side API that serves hundreds of requests per second? Are you excited about helping people and businesses collaborate more efficiently by building cutting edge tools for search and collaboration?
If so, we’d like you to learn about Files.com!
At Files.com, we’re building a cloud storage service that challenges the status quo through many unique features that really help people and businesses boost their productivity.
Our primary app and API is primarily written in Ruby on Rails (though we use Grape for APIs, not ActionController, and we don’t use Rails views at all). We have additional backend services written in Ruby, have built our own version of Resque, and heavily use things like Redis and Elasticsearch.
We are looking for Rubyists with strong backgrounds in data structures, algorithms, and scaling to join our team and help us build features into our already great app.
Read on to learn more!
As a Serverside Developer at Files.com, you will take the lead on helping build cutting edge features into the Files.com product that drive value for the 1,700 business that use our platform for collaboration.
Our API receives hundreds of requests per second and is used by both internal and external developers.
Here are some examples of projects that our Serverside Developers will be tackling in the next 6-12 months:
- Implementing Single-Sign-On via OAuth, SAML, and SCIM.
- Implementing in-file search using Elasticsearch with custom input filters to index a plethora of document types.
- Building a scalable engine that can convert nearly any type of files to PDF for in-browser previews (like the former Crocodoc service).
- Upgrading our API documentation to be automatically generated using the OpenAPI standard, and the creation of automatically-generated SDKs.
- Building our Universal Sync engine, which is a tool that allows Files.com users to synchronize their files to other cloud services such as S3, Azure, and Rackspace.
- Building a file versioning tool that uses Git behind the scenes to give customers easy tracking of file versions
Additionally, you'll contribute to our ongoing projects for improving security, monitoring, and performance.
- 5+ years of directly applicable experience.
- Strong Computer Science background and understanding of algorithms and data structures.
- History developing and supporting actual applications that have seen production usage with a large user-base.
- Complete understanding of how to write secure code and an awareness of common web application security vulnerabilities.
- Experience with Ruby and Rails.
- Appreciation for testing and the ability to write specs using RSpec.
- Participation in open source Ruby gem projects, including ideally being the maintainer for a Gem that sees large usage in the community.
- Strong experience working at scale.