is a forward-thinking digital marketing agency for WordPress businesses. WordPress powers 40% of the internet and we support its product and service economy with digital marketing.
We sit at the intersection of digital marketing and the WordPress ecosystem, serving agencies who sell websites to the biggest companies in the world, and product businesses who sell functionality to WordPress users. We help our clients reach millions of users and are helping make the web more powerful and easier to use.
We’re market-leaders in our area, and are helping drive rapid growth in the WordPress economy. Between us, we have the in-house skills to deliver marketing strategy and implementation for some of the best WordPress businesses in the market.
As a 100% remote team, we carefully balance collaboration with an environment that enables everyone to do their best work.
We’re based across Europe and (in usual times) travel for team meetups, conferences, and pleasure!
We each bring our own strengths and the independence to shape our agency as it grows quickly. It’s an exciting time to join us :)
About the role:
As our new Senior Marketing Strategist, you’ll be leading our Marketing Strategy projects.
Our clients trust us to develop the right marketing strategies and you’ll be leading that work. You’ll work with WordPress businesses, ranging from startups looking for product/market fit, to the largest enterprise businesses in our space. It’s extremely rewarding to see businesses experience growth following your recommendations.
Currently, we share the responsibility for building client strategy. Now that we’re big enough, we’re hiring our first specialist focussed 100% on strategy. In the early days, that means you’ll be hands-on, responsible for delivering the work. There is, however, plenty of scope to learn and grow rapidly in this position.
This role would suit someone looking to make the transition to higher-value marketing strategy work, and then management. You will have the opportunity to build out your own Strategy Team, learn a vast amount from consulting with many types of business, and if you can do those successfully, we’d be very happy to promote you to Head of Strategy in 12-24 months.
Activity in this role will be broken down as follows:
60% Creating marketing strategy for clients
25% Client and account management
15% Internal marketing and projects
Your main responsibility will be to lead our strategy work:
You’ll be responsible for directly executing most of this work, and delivering successful projects to clients. This involves talking to clients to understand their needs, “Deep Working” on strategy documents, and collaborating with the team internally to get specialised expertise. This includes our Marketing Audit and Strategy
work, and, later on, our CMO-as-a-Service
You’ll need to love solving marketing problems, developing winning strategies for clients, and writing these up into an actionable format. You should be comfortable working independently and blocking off large parts of your day for Deep Work, whilst taking on board client needs and feedback, and delivering work to clients at a rapid pace.
You’ll report to our Managing Director, and work with our Head of Content and Conversions, Content Manager, Conversions Manager, and expertise-specific freelancers, such as SEO.
To support the above, you need the following skills:
- Marketing strategy for product businesses of all sizes: you love solving marketing problems and have some experience with strategy for digital product businesses, including those with a SaaS business model. You have a track record of successfully identifying winning marketing strategies.
- Excellent written communication: you are excellent at long-form writing, and communicating your ideas clearly and persuasively to the reader.
- Expertise in specific marketing channels: CRO, SEO, pricing, and/or paid ads. You have a basic understanding of some of these and deep expertise in one or two areas. You’re keen to learn the rest.
- Client communication: you’re able to present your ideas to clients effectively, answer questions on-the-fly, and keep the client very happy. You’re happy to do this predominantly via video calls and email.
- Project management: you already have solid internal project management skills, and love updating and managing tasks from start to finish! Similarly, you’re obsessive with processes: you’ll proactively improve our existing processes wherever possible, and have enough experience with project management to know that smooth internal processes lie at the heart of every successful business.
Requirements: hard skills
- 5+ years experience in digital marketing, and 2+ years in a strategic/consulting role
- Digital marketing agency experience
- Expert-level marketing strategy
- Excellent English editorial skills
- Proven experience writing, proofreading and editing
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent project and account management
- Friendly, efficient client-facing communication
- Experience working remotely full time
- Availability to work on European time (GMT/CET)
- Familiarity with tools including or similar to: WordPress, Ahrefs, Google Analytics, G Suite, Basecamp
- Some knowledge of SEO, CRO, pricing strategy, and/or paid ads
Requirements: soft skills
- Fantastic communication skills: Remote work relies on mutual trust, so frequent and clear written communication is essential
- Receptive to feedback and solutions-oriented: We share and learn from each other honestly, openly and easily
- High level of self-awareness: a “people person”: You’ll be dealing with writers and clients on a daily basis, so this is an integral part of the role
- Proven organisational skills: You must be obsessive with deadlines, managing and updating tasks, and totally reliable
- Self-driven work ethic: You need to be 100% reliable, self-motivated, comfortable taking the initiative and seeing projects through to completion
Bonus points if you have:
- Knowledge of the WordPress product industry
- Familiarity with project management and remote-work tools, e.g. Basecamp
Compensation and benefits:
- This is a full-time, 100% remote role. Work from home, or the beach!
- Competitive, full-time salary with pension, benchmarked to UK rates and based on experience. The range for this role is: £40k to £45k/year
- 28 days of paid holiday
- Flexible working
- Regular team retreats (to fun places! ~2 per year)
- Attend conferences in Europe (in normal times – 1-2 per year)
- Plenty of scope for personal development, and to grow and add more responsibilities as the business grows
- Maternity/paternity leave, and sick pay
- You’ll work for a sustainable, ethical company: we are aiming to become a B Corp by the end of 2021
The application process:
It’s important we find the best candidate for this position, and our selection process will reflect this. You’ll be required to attend at least two interviews (by video call) and carry out a (paid) freelance project with us before we make an employment offer.
We’re fortunate to receive a large volume of applications, so make your application stand out. Please pay special attention to the main responsibilities of this role, and “how to apply”.
We do great work for clients and are building an ethical business that lets everyone do their best work. If you think you could be the next person to join our team, please apply :)
How to apply:
Please apply through this link
. We will decide who progresses to the next stage based on the form you submit, and your CV. Please give us a good reason to select you! Taking the time to research the role, see who we are
, what we do
, and what you can do for us will increase your chance of success. Your cover letter is where you have the space to do this.
Ellipsis is an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity.
The deadline for submission is the end of the day, GMT on 15th February 2021. We will start processing applications after this date, so expect to hear from us in the final week of February. We’ll be in touch whether we're proceeding or not. We expect the interview process to take 2-4 weeks after applications close.