Intellum is the creator and leader of the customer education market. We are privately-owned, profitable, and powered by a globally distributed team that truly cares about delivering remarkable learning experiences.
Our Engineering team currently consists of about 20 people and operates from North America, Europe, and Oceania. Remote has been the bedrock of our culture for over a decade.
At Intellum, you will be joining a very successful organization and help the largest and fastest-moving brands in the world successfully educate their customers, partners, and employees.
- Remote Working with a flexible schedule, supported by a strong culture of asynchronous communication.
- Working together with a team of smart, interesting people with the lightest, most supportive structure possible to be successful.
- Varied, interesting technical challenges for talented engineers to tackle and large chunks of uninterrupted time to focus on getting things done.
- An opportunity to play a significant role in our mission to improve the lives of others. Education is important and our contribution to the practice and technology is significant.What we’re looking for:
- We’re looking for an engineer with experience building, monitoring, troubleshooting, and managing complex search systems that will help us to continuously improve our search engine, allowing Intellum platform users to get to the right content. The ideal candidate should be able to identify current engine problems, different engine usages, and offer solutions to those issues. We’re facing challenges due to higher usage of ES cluster, multilingual content, nested documents, and others.
- Our Applications are written in Ruby on Rails and Node, using PostgreSQL and MongoDB for storage. We also use Redis, Memcached, ElasticsSarch, WebSockets, etc.
- The search is powered by ElasticSearch, back-fed by a custom algorithm and managed by Searchkick (ruby gem)
You’ll be a good fit if you:
- You have experience building search engines and are comfortable working within a large-scale distributed environment with tools such as Solr, Elastic Search, Ruby, Node, Python, BigQuery.
- Hands-on experience in custom search engine design, implementation and maintenance.
- Previous experience working with data scientists, machine learning engineers, and data analysts.
- Hands-on experience writing complex, highly-optimized queries across large indexes.
- A strong understanding of current data engineering tools and industry standards
- Excellent communication skills. You are a good listener open to many diverse voices and perspectives. You are transparent, trustworthy, and honest.
- Ability to independently execute on a project, from ideation to delivery to stakeholders, and can pro-actively interact with other engineers at Intellum to access necessary resources or data.
Extra bonus for:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with Searchkick ES ORM
- Experience with relational databases (Postgresql, MySQL)
- Experience as Data Engineer or ML Engineer.
- Define, architect, develop, and deploy search infrastructure for large-scale products.
- Collaborate with other technology teams to handle a wide variety of sources of data to feed the search engine, and integrate solutions into our engineering stack.
- Interface with data science, machine learning engineers, software engineers, and product managers to understand search engine needs.
- High level of understanding of ElasticSearch.
- Keep up to date on the emerging best practices in search engineering, continuously evaluating and providing guidance on the use of new technologies that lay the foundation for search engineering best practices.
Compensation and benefits
- A competitive compensation within the industry.
- A budget of $3,500 per year for professional and personal development
- Insurance Benefits (for US based employees) including:
- Medical - 100% of employee premiums covered
- Dental - 100% of employee premiums covered
- Vision - 100% of employee premiums covered
- 401(k) with matching
About the process:
Our interviewing process should take about 2 weeks. During this time, usually we will hold three interviews of around one hour each. We don't require you to perform any coding challenge and we won't ask any algorithmic or tricky questions.
We do want to give you the chance to show us your technical and communication skills in a comfortable and positive environment. We believe the best way to achieve this is for you to prepare some code that you have written and think is worth sharing with us. It does not have to be something you craft especially for this occasion, but some interesting real life problem you have solved in the past that we can go through together, and have some discussions around it.
About Intellum: Intellum is an Atlanta-based SaaS company focused on corporate learning. We are the software engineers, developers and tech industry professionals who are helping our clients become more data savvy, applying machine learning techniques to significantly improve learning personalization, and developing monetization strategies that drive revenue with external audiences. We strive to live up to our company values of Simplicity, Honesty and Innovation every day and have been ranked as one of the Best Places to Work three years in a row by the Atlanta Business Chronicle. Our clients include organizations such as Cricket Wireless, Facebook, Google, Habitat for Humanity, and Randstad.
Intellum is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.