We are looking for a hybrid Senior Full-Stack Ruby and Ruby on Rails Developer/Engineer who will be responsible for creating and maintaining our proprietary software (our "Student Dashboard"), as well as other software that we are building in the near future for different departments. You will be responsible for interpreting technical requirements, writing and maintaining effective and scalable code, maintaining code quality of others through code reviews, organizing and automating syncing of data between third-party applications, co-designing a strategic vision of how our application will be developed with data architectural decisions, writing/testing the application for performance, responsiveness and security, as well as documenting feature functionality and creating reports for internal and non-technical team members. This role will eventually grow into a team lead position where you will be responsible for leading and managing a small team.
Our product is the learning experience for all our students. The software we are building combines the best of both worlds - technology and education - to create the most supportive online learning experience at scale. Some experiences we are developing include:
- Integrating a 3rd party tool with our proprietary software to create an Absence Detection System
- Systematically detecting collaboration and activity between coding partners during projects and pushing feedback or responses based on detected contribution levels
- A work queue for our Technical Support Engineers to efficiently review and give feedback for every project students create
- Integrating a 3rd party polling app into our application to be able to collect more feedback and student data at scale
- Developing our admissions software to scale to thousands of applicants per month
- Admin tools to more efficiently review data or re-pair coding partners to improve processes and make them more scaleable in preparation for our continued rapid growth
- Creating and implementing plagiarism detection software
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain our Student Dashboard, which is the main application where a student may see their daily schedule, overall progress, and personal statistics.
- Design and evolve our Admissions application which helps automate processes to verify and enroll applicants into the program.
- Operate our administration system on Heroku, expand it and possibly transfer the whole system to more advanced cloud solutions.
- Perform code reviews to ensure quality standards and best practices are used.
- Create recurring and one-off reports when needed by various teams
- Document How-Tos for our internal Wiki and the non-technical users of features deployed
- Mentor and guide developers by explaining the complexities of good programming habits and helping them when they get blocked
- Work closely with the Product Manager to prepare and approve the scope of the work every week.