MoveOn Request for Proposal: UX Research Consultant
MoveOn is seeking a user research consultant or firm to conduct in-depth user interviews, create personas and journey maps based on real people and experiences, and develop insights about member experience to support our growth work and improve our campaigning.
The goal of this project is to hold a deeper understanding of member experience and how MoveOn can grow intentionally and equitably by meeting potential members where they are. Your role will be to humanize the member experience by generating and combining qualitative member data with MoveOn’s existing analytics to create relatable, clear personas that are based on real people for MoveOn’s millions of members.
You will work closely with MoveOn staff and the core group working on this project. The consultant/firm will be expected to integrate and collaborate with the core working group on all aspects on this work. It’s important to note that MoveOn will own the majority of the quantitative research for this project but will share insights and information with the consultant/firm to ensure success. You will also interact with MoveOn members, so it is important that the consultant/firm we work with is respectful and understands the importance of confidentiality and security.
In our external campaigning as well as our internal work together as a team, we seek to advance core values of equity and inclusion, including a commitment to identifying and uprooting unjust oppression. We know social identities including race, gender, immigration status, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, and more can show up in organizations and the movement in ways that provide unfair advantages to some while unfairly disadvantaging others.
- Conduct in-depth user interviews (number and format of interviews will be decided between MoveOn and consultant).
- Create 3-6 personas (roughly 2-3 for current members and 3 for nonmembers) drawing from interviews and other provided sources of data. Personas should capture real people, avoid stereotypes, have depth and texture, and account for experiences in a number of scenarios.
- Create journey maps for personas.
- Create a digitized and interactive report for staff that includes user research highlights, personas, and other key information.
- Contribute to identifying interventions and tests based on user research and personas.
- Collaborate effectively with our staff to ensure that the personas you create accurately reflect our current and potential members.
The contract will likely run from April 2019 through June 30, 2019.
Criteria for Selection
- Demonstrated ability to deliver deep user research and synthesize quantitative and qualitative user data.
- Experience creating personas and journey maps across identities and communities.
- Portfolio of relevant work.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equity and anti-oppression in the outward-facing work you produce, as well as within your firm.
- Your team’s ability to collaborate closely with the MoveOn team.
- Ability to stay on budget and track projects and billing effectively.
- Your firm’s electronic security and data protection practices.
Proposal Process & Timeline
We will accept proposals until 5 p.m. ET Monday, March 11.
We plan to follow up to schedule conversations with a portion of the consultants/firms submitting proposals. We hope to make a final decision by April 1, with the project likely starting a week after on April 8, 2019.
Principal Point of Contact
Submit proposals via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “UX Research.”
What the Proposal Should Include
- The firm or consultant’s background.
- Bios of the team/person and explanation of the role each person would play.
- Explanation of why you are well suited to take on this project.
- Portfolio of UX research and sample personas and journey maps, including work conducted by the people who would work on this project.
- Explanation of whether and how your firm has advanced the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Explanation about your views on inclusive and accessible design.
- Proposed workflows, project structure, and proposed fees and treatment of expenses.
- Past clients that MoveOn may reach out to as references, with contact info.
● MoveOn reserves the right to make an award without further discussion of the proposal submitted. Therefore, the proposal should be submitted initially on the most favorable terms that the vendor could propose. There will be no best-and-final-offer procedure. MoveOn does reserve the right to contact a vendor for clarification of its proposal.
● The vendor should be prepared to accept this request for proposal for incorporation into a contract resulting from this request for proposal. Contract negotiations may incorporate some of or the vendor’s entire proposal. It is understood that the proposal will become a part of the official procurement file on this matter without obligation to MoveOn.
No Obligation to Contract
This request for proposal does not obligate MoveOn to contract for services specified herein.
Rejection of Proposals
MoveOn reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to reject any and all proposals received without penalty and not to issue a contract as a result of this request for proposal.
The vendor will adopt a policy stating that the vendor, in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment, will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, ethnic identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, economic status, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected basis.
This RFP was posted February 22, 2019.