Location: Remote (open for all candidates in Asia timezone) or Japan
Employment Status: Full-Time
Annual salary: USD $50,000 ~ USD $70,000
Incubit undertakes the challenge of solving industry-specific problems alongside leading companies of Japan adopting the latest technology, with our current focus and strength being image recognition using deep learning technology.
We transform our knowledge and experiences accumulated through the provision of tailor-made solutions into standard products, which are then offered to global enterprise customers to get their jobs done better and faster.
We know MLOps is more like culture or practices than a position, but the term is still the closest one to describe the role which has arisen in recent years. We have the MLOps mindset and are looking for a passionate and talented MLOps engineer to join as a core member of a seasoned 5-person product team. This role is an essential part of the Incubit AI product ecosystem with huge autonomy over what we build and how we build it. Unlike most other Ops-like roles, it encompasses a variety of projects and products across the entire company. You will be taking on and productizing the ML models to our clients. You will be working closely with our deep learning and product engineers to build a new ML development platform to make their life easier. You will be shipping code daily and will see the immediate impact of your work here.
- Product-focused: you take pride in building elegant and beautiful products
- Problem solver: you excel at understanding and solving complex problems in a proactive way. You have astonishing attention to detail
- Quality communicator: you can break down tricky topics in writing and in person
- Surprisingly efficient: you make things work fast, and know the right moment to make them perfect
- Ownership: you love being responsible for owning and improving a new, fast-growing code base
- Integrity and Dignity: you're excited by the chance to establish best practices in our development processes and act as a role model for the engineering team as it grows
- Curiosity: you are innately curious, and have a passion for learning new things
- Bold: you are not afraid to think outside the box and come up with a bold and innovative hypothesis based on inspiration, and are able to logically explain the reasoning behind them
- Professionally Lazy: you look to do things in the most efficient way as much as possible
- Ask Why: you do not stop asking questions until you fully understand why you are doing what you do in the way you do it
If this describes you, come join our team at Incubit. We are a diligent and pleasant multi-cultural team of engineers and professionals spread between Japan, Taiwan, and India that provides plenty of opportunities to learn and grow together. We are still a small startup - and growing healthily with no Venture Capital involvement - as we appraise freedom and independence more than anything else, which allows you to have a tangible impact on us, whether it is about a project we take or the role you play in the company.
Why is this role important for Incubit’s work?
As a key member of Incubit’s product team, you will be responsible for building and automating continuous integration (CI), continuous delivery (CD), and continuous training (CT) for machine learning systems, which includes data collection, model development, model deployment, monitoring, and logging. In Incubit, we serve different projects in different ways. Some of them are still in PoC and some are mature enough to be automated. We want to automate our ML system to make it robust and flexible.
Once here you will:
- Work with other engineers, product owners, and leadership to turn our vision into a concrete roadmap
- Build, test and ship clean, modular, and efficient user-facing code across all components of the infrastructure
- Integrate new data sources and API third-party products into the system
- Conduct monitoring and troubleshooting of in-production ML models and tools
- Articulate a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our systems across the board
- Actively lead the design and/or refactoring of our infrastructure architecture
- Identify manual steps in the system and automate them
- Implement automated tests, participate in code reviews, and ship code on a frequent basis
- Work closely with ML engineers to design and implement the optimal MLOps environment for their maximized efficiency
- Serve the ML model on different environments from cloud to on-premise
What does Incubit offer you?
At Incubit, you can solve diverse challenges in a dynamic international environment, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with passion, curiosity, and empathy. We work hard but also respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the entire development process and your career.
You can work flexible hours and you also can work remotely from your country as long as you can follow working hours with GMT+7 ~ GMT+10. Over 60% of our product team is remote, so you’ll be in good company - all of whom are in the Asia time zone – which makes it easier to communicate.
We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
We also welcome foreign nationals who live outside of Japan to join our team in Tokyo. We understand it is a big challenge to move to Japan, thus we provide full assistance for relocation, not just for you but also for your family, which includes any kind of support you would need to get settled:
- Assistance in the visa acquisition process
- The cost of:
- Air ticket
- Temporary accommodation
- Lease contract
- Full support for:
- Housing search
- Contracting lifelines
- Opening a bank account and making a credit card
- Pickup service at the airport upon your first arrival in Japan
- Or any other help you might need
Relevant Experience and Mindset
We expect you to have experience in MLOps, but if not, experience in DevOps is also welcome as long as you are highly interested in ML knowledge and are willing to learn.
- 2+ years of professional DevOps experience
- 1+ years of experience with a major web framework (e.g. Rails, Django, …etc)
- Highly skilled in Python or a similar programming language
- AWS or similar cloud provider integrations
- Experience with an infrastructure-as-code tool (e.g. Terraform, Ansible, Chef, …etc)
- Experience with Docker
- Strong understanding of CI/CD pipeline patterns and best practices
- The ability to write code that is a pleasure for other engineers to read and understand
- The ability to speak and write in terms that non-developers can understand clearly, whether it be in a conference call, backlogs, or slack communication
- Business or higher communication level in English
- If you choose to work remotely,
- Can follow working hours with GMT+7 ~ GMT+10
- Travel to Japan or Taiwan once every quarter
- If you choose to join us in our Tokyo office, we provide full assistance for relocation
It would be a bonus if you have
- Experience working with machine learning products
- Experience with machine learning frameworks
- Experience with AWS and MLOps tools
- Worked with large-scale deployment and production system to scale, for fault tolerance and maintainability
Our selection process
- Interview with our HR: you will be asked some basic questions about your background, motivation, and personality. You can also ask questions about us - so that we can make sure your and our expectations are in alignment.
- Interview with engineers: you will have an opportunity to present your soft and hard skills as well as discuss in detail the work at Incubit - how we work, what we do, and what you want to achieve at Incubit.
- Interview with all members at Incubit: it is crucial for you to know whom you will be working with once you join the company. You will meet everyone who works at Incubit, from CEO to PMs, and our back office team. It will be a great opportunity for you to ask questions about our culture, team, or anything that you may want to know before you join the company.