Experienced in Ruby-on-Rails, AWS & DevOps
BOUNDLESS - PRODUCT ENGINEER - RUBY ON RAILS
Fantastic opportunity for a product-minded Ruby Engineer to join a VC-funded, remote-first start-up focussed on building the future of multi-country employment & payroll.
Boundless was born from the belief that people should have the freedom to shape their work lives without forfeiting their right to secure employment. We started by looking for ways to offer compliance across borders. It's what our founders had all struggled with in previous teams, but along the way, we figured that this is about so much more than ticking compliance boxes and not getting in trouble. We have since been raising the bar of what great remote employment looks like.
With each new country that we establish our complete infrastructure and build internal expertise, we try to set the gold standard of remote employment.
Currently, 19 people across 7 countries are working hard to make that a reality and help democratise access to well-paid jobs worldwide.
Together we are commanding a rallying call to companies who are changing the way work works.
We're focused on filling the Boundless team with people who 'get it’. People who have experience working themselves remotely or who have tried to solve this problem before. People who enjoy the quality of life that remote working offers and want to help others do the same.
People who care.
We are looking for an experienced Product Engineer (Ruby) with devops experience who can contribute to all aspects of the software lifecycle from improving our systems of continuous delivery to feature development. You will join our small, but perfectly formed engineering team and our third engineering hire and work alongside CTO Emily
, Product Design Lead Brendan
and Product Engineers Matthew
We are an Agile leaning team using Github, CircleCI, LaunchDarkly and AWS to deliver our software to customers.
Our ethos is to focus on building stable software that solves our customers’ problems.
Reliability is at the core of everything we do.
As a Ruby engineer in the product team, things you will work on include:
- Continuous development of our web platform to serve customers, employees and partners as we launch in new countries.
- Building a top-class user experience throughout the application.
- Improving our system of continuous delivery.
- Managing AWS instances.
- Ensuring traceability of actions throughout our payroll process.
- Automation of payments integrations relating to invoicing and employee payroll.
- Building internal tooling to allow Boundless Payroll and HR staff to serve our customers efficiently.
- Delivering quality code that adheres to best practices; participating in code review.
- Advocating for implementation of best practices within the team and the technology.
- Consolidating our approach to testing and quality assurance.
- Integrating with third party APIs to achieve desired functionality within our systems.
- Data security and compliance with data regulations.
- Getting involved in customer support.
This role will suit you if you have:
- 5+ years experience building production-grade web applications in Ruby on Rails (including flavours of HTML, CSS, JS, SQL).
- A strong interest in DevOps and have put continuous delivery systems in place in previous jobs. You are not scared to get your hands dirty with AWS ( CloudFormation, ElasticBeanstalk, EC2 etc), Docker, Circle CI or equivalent technologies.
- Excellent Object Oriented Programming skills and experience implementing non-Rails design patterns.
- Experience building software iteratively using feature flags.
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Experience writing and managing a test suite using rspec or equivalent.
- Experience working with queueing systems, e.g. Redis is an advantage.
- Experience working on strong engineering teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a high EQ.
We ‘eat our own dog-food’! Boundless is a remote-first team.
That means that you can work remotely from any of the countries that Boundless supports - which you can see here: https://boundlesshq.com/how-it-works/countries/
(ideally in timezones which are + / - 4 GMT) and you will enjoy the security of having fully compliant employment conditions and statutory employment benefits.
Time Off - Everyone in the team is entitled to 35 days per year (including public holidays). Your well-being is high priority. You are encouraged to use this allowance and have a proper break to re-charge your batteries!
Boundless company holidays - We have 4 Boundless holidays per year - these are on the last Friday of the quarter. This means that everyone across the company has a day off together so that you can genuinely switch-off for the weekend in the knowledge that you won’t be receiving any Slack or email notifications!
Flexible working hours - We work a standard 8 hours day but our core hours are 11.00-15.00 Dublin time, where you are expected to be contactable - leaving you to fit in the remaining 4 hours whenever works best for you. At Boundless, we want our work to fit our lifestyles. We don’t believe in counting hours and we want everyone to focus on goals and achievements instead. We know that everyone has different needs when it comes to how they work, when they’re most productive, and how they manage their life. We’re all responsible adults, and we trust each other.
WFH/Co-work Stipends - So that you can set up from a co-working space if you prefer not to work from home.
Generous Equipment/Hardware Budget
Employee Assistance Program
Annual budget to attend events, meet-ups and conferences
Monthly remote team socials (under current Covid restrictions)
Quarterly International in-person team retreats when Covid restrictions allow
Industry benchmarked salary - We benchmark our salaries to the ‘industry standard’ for tech start-ups and we believe in offering a fair salary that not only reflects your value at your level of experience in your field but also your value to us.
- A growth mindset, and an appetite for learning.
- Previously worked on a distributed team and enjoy working remotely
...and if you are:
- Pragmatic about getting things done and have the ability to recognise and prioritise work that is important.
- Comfortable operating in an environment with a relatively high degree of uncertainty.