CircleCI is expanding our team in Europe, and we are looking for an experienced engineering leader who brings extraordinary management skills to support our distributed teams, helping them grow and continuously deliver business value. Your primary focus are your teams and the people in it, and we expect you to build a great culture with diversity, inclusion, action orientation, and openness as our core values.
About this role:
Help us grow our engineering teams in Europe. This is a unique opportunity to have major impact on the growth of our globally distributed organisation. We have long believed in finding great people wherever they are and, as of this year, are investing more in our engineering in Europe. Your main mission will be to grow our first fully Europe-based engineering team. We've learned a lot being a distributed team from the start and would like to learn even more from you to get better as a global organisation. You’ll be able to build on the know-how of our experienced distributed engineering management team, and will be working closely with our Europe-based Director of engineering.
Help our engineers grow.
This role is a people management role focused on the development of a set of engineers in Europe, utilising the Engineering Competency Matrix
, our internal career growth system for engineers. You’d also be working with a set of our cross-functional teams and their Team Leads on business value delivery and strategic work.
Here’s what else we need your help with:
- Business value delivery: Ensure incremental value delivery and high quality standards on teams you’re working with. Support these teams’ strategic work in collaboration with our Product organisation.
- Learning and Development: Attract, onboard, and retain diverse top talent. Develop people and teams through coaching, mentoring, and management support. Conduct regular 1:1, goal setting, and feedback conversations with engineers to ensure their well-being and team health, and support them in their growth. Continuously work to improve inclusion and belonging on your team and within our organisation.
- Process and Product: Maintain high levels of teamwork, transparency, and efficiency in collaboration with other development teams and Product Owners.
- Leadership: Advocate and promote leadership at all levels within the CircleCI engineering organisation.
- Organisational work: Help us continuously improve and grow and build further support structures for our teams by driving broader organisational development and cross-cutting initiatives with the rest of our engineering management team.
- Technical work: Help grow the expertise of your teams in performance, reliability, resilience, scalability, maintainable architecture, and experimentation. We don’t expect you to write or review code on a regular basis, so this role may not be for you if you will deeply miss those things.
- People development: You have at least three years of experience building and leading software development teams and delivering working software together with them. Your experience includes hiring, as well as having engineers directly reporting to you and supporting them in their growth.
- Remote work: You bring experience working with distributed teams.
- Delivery: You are knowledgeable about modern software engineering practices and how to apply them in different teams. You believe in agile and lean values. You have a track record of using these methods in practice and continuously delivering business value.
- Leadership: You are a servant leader and strong collaborator who emphasises continuous learning, and you know what it takes to build strong, productive teams. You thrive on developing people and building inclusive teams.
- Learning: You bring action orientation and thrive on continuously improving with your teams.
- Communication: You’re an effective communicator and bring strong feedback skills to you teams. You’re proficient in English in verbal and written form.
We know there’s no such thing as an “ideal” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
Distributed teams at CircleCI
We’re a distributed company with offices in San Francisco, Toronto, Japan, and teammates across the world. We would be hiring you as a full-time employee, and are looking to hire someone to join us in Europe based in Germany, Ireland, or the United Kingdom.
How we hire Engineering Managers
Over the last year, we have made some critical shifts in our understanding of what we believe makes a great engineering manager at CircleCI, and learned a lot about our needs and values as an organization along the way. We wrote about this evolution, and what our hiring process for engineering managers looks like now: What we've learned about hiring engineering managers
Further content that may be interesting for you:
Some content from our blog
that may be interesting to you: