About the company
MeiliSearch's mission is to create a best-in-class search experience for every website and application. We are building a blazingly fast and ultra-relevant search engine made in Rust that allows our partners to have a powerful search engine without initial configuration. Features such as typo-tolerance, filters, and synonyms are provided out-of-the-box.
We are fully open source: we strongly believe the best way to realize our vision is to leverage the open-source community's power. We already have many integrations and SDKs to allow any developer to try MeiliSearch in their environment quickly. We have a vibrant connection with our community of early adopters and builders. We are in contact every day and eagerly listen to feedback from our contributors.
We raised a €1.5m pre-seed
round in May 2020, and are backed by 3 of the best investors in Europe: LocalGlobe
& Kima Ventures
. We have already partnered with industry heavyweights like Louis Vuitton and Platform.sh
We are a team of 23 passionate people, and our project is growing fast (+10K GitHub stars in 12 months). To raise awareness around MeiliSearch and deliver the best possible experience to our community, we are looking for a Developer Advocate.
About the team:
The overall responsibility of the Developer Relations team is
- to help the MeiliSearch project to get as much visibility as possible on any relevant media
- to help craft a welcoming open-source community that encourages developer success
- to make sure all feedback from our community is accurately communicated to and addressed by the other teams
The team works very closely with the Technical Writing team regarding content creation and technical documentation.
What you'll be doing:
As a Developer Advocate, you will be the voice of developers at the heart of our community. Your role will include:
- Creating technical material to help users understand and realize the value of MeiliSearch
- Building attractive search experience demos
- Writing top-notch tutorials that help users get started and relate to their use case
- Helping MeiliSearch users be successful via Slack, Stack Overflow & GitHub
- Welcoming and onboarding new users & contributors to our community
- Building and growing relationships with the most active members of the community
- Representing MeiliSearch at events
- Keeping yourself & your team up to date on upcoming events relevant for MeiliSearch, and organizing our participation (meetups, conferences, hackathons, workshops, etc.)
- Participating in these events as a speaker, mentor, or sponsor
As part of the Developer Relations team, your role will also include:
- Managing our social media accounts (Twitter mainly + LinkedIn in collaboration with the HR team)
- Listening to users and the broader community, understanding pain points and opportunities, and delivering feedback to the engineering and product teams to improve the developer experience
Our ideal profile:
You identify as a teacher and a learner, a builder and a doer, a mentor and a communicator.
Your fit with our team is as important to us as your technical background, if not more so. We are looking for someone with these important soft skills:
- Outstanding communication skills (written & oral). You enjoy teaching others through different modes of communication (e.g., writing, video).
- Empathy, judgment and tact. You can talk with developers, understand their problems and answer accordingly.
- Strong organizational skills. You can plan, manage your time and communicate to deliver projects.
- Team player. You enjoy working across organizations.
- Humility and will to continuously learn. You take experimentation seriously.
- Enthusiastic. You get a buzz from helping people.
- 2+ years of experience as a software engineer. You know how to write and ship code.
- Experience working on open source projects. You understand that collaboration is critical in the open-source ecosystem.
- Fluent English oral & written. Your voice can reach the broadest audience.
Nice to have:
- Native in English
- 1-2 years of technical consulting or in a community engagement capacity
- Experience in building community across some of the following channels: Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, Discord, blogs, meetups, public speaking at events
- Experience giving talks and creating technical content
- Experience working with and building third-party developer tools such as APIs, SDKs, and client libraries
- Strong social presence
Why you'll enjoy working with us:
- Permanent full-time contract,
- We strongly value the wellness of our employees and are committed to making MeiliSearch a benevolent place to work (attention to work-life balance, 3 months paid parental leave, 4 day work week),
- We are open to fully remote applications, as long as you are between GMT-5 and GMT+7 time zones.
- Please send us your resume and a quick note of why you might be a good fit for this job. Don't hesitate to look at our LinkedIn page and our Meet the Team page.
- If your profile fits, our HR will contact you for a video call to get to know you a bit better (who you are, your background & ambitions, company culture & company ambition): 1h. If it doesn't fit, you will get an email from us.
- You will meet one of our founders and the head of Developer Relations during a video call: 1h total.
- You will meet two people from teams that you will engage with every day: 1h total.
MeiliSearch is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to develop an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our open-source community.