Reporting to the Manager of Software Engineering, the Database Engineer is responsible for supporting the implementation and maintenance of our products, with a focus on enhancing and optimizing transactions between the application and databases.
- Work alongside software engineers to design and deploy database table structures and queries
- Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of development efforts
- Mentor others through pairing, code reviews, and regular knowledge sharing
- Establish coding standards, and drive best patterns and practices
- Collaborate with other engineering staff to develop and optimize relational and non-relational databases
- An effective communicator, you will work collaboratively and constructively with others in the team and broader organization
- Work with the Principal Engineer to support proper architectural oversight of the product
- Identify inefficiencies in current databases and investigate solutions
- Development and maintenance of database stored procedures, views, and functions for SaaS applications
- Produce ad-hoc queries and develop reports to support business needs
- other duties as assigned
The above statements are neither intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be a listing of all of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. This job description is not a contract of employment, either express or implied. Employment with Cofense will be voluntarily entered into and your employment is considered at will. Cofense reserves the right to alter the job description at any time without notice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Deep knowledge of MariaDB, PostgreSQL, and other relational databases
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time-management skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Comfortable at the command line, and with advanced git features
- Best-practices with multi-region database deployment
- Familiarity with Ruby, Rails, and how the ActiveRecord ORM interacts with databases
Education and/or Experience:
- At least 2+ years of recent production experience developing and deploying large-scale Rails applications.
- Have participated in an organization using an Agile-based approach to software delivery
- Experience in a multi-team organization
- Production experience with relational databases
- Experience with AWS, RDS, DynamoDB, and Redshift a strong plus
- Experience with database security architecture and structure
- Prior remote working experience
- Competitive salary
- Telecom bonus
- 401k with company match
- Health, vision, dental, disability, life insurance
Cofense is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis [protected class] including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable national, federal, state or local laws and ordinances. We adhere to these commitments in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, benefits, and discipline.