SlashData is the leading research company in the developer economy: We help the world understand developers and developers understand the world. We survey 40,000+ developers annually - across mobile, IoT, desktop, cloud, AR/VR, web, games, data science, and machine learning - to help clients such as Microsoft, Facebook, Google and Amazon understand who developers are, what tools they love or hate and where they are going next.
We’re now looking for a full-time, Data Storyteller to help drive insights out of a wealth of data points relating to developer activity. You’ll be working based in Europe or MEA, working from home or a co-working space to support our distributed team.
Who we’re looking for
As a Data Storyteller, you will have 2-5 years working experience in data analysis, data visualisation, and data journalism. You will be fearless in data crunching and keen to unearth meaningful patterns, actionable insights and intriguing stories from the data.
You will have undertaken many data analysis projects where your novel insights and attention to detail would impress. You will have a proven record of communicating your findings to a non-technical audience, eloquently narrating the story behind the numbers. You might not have worked in the software industry before, but you have a passion for software, and wanting to figure out what makes the software economy tick - based on data.
If you’re that person, we’d love to talk.
As a Data Storyteller you will be:
- Based in EMEA region (UK time ±4hrs)
- Performing data analysis using any scripting language (e.g. Python, R), and Excel. You‘ll be working on several data projects, extracting insights in the context of market trends, behavioural analysis, population forecasting, segmentation and profiling.
- Writing up your findings in short and long reports including visually appealing graphs and deep insights based on your analysis, answering the “why” behind the “what”.
- Tracking the latest trends in the software developer ecosystem.
- Helping shape our research agenda and asking developers and data scientists the right questions.
- Interacting with clients to provide insightful answers to tough data problems, and to support them in custom data insights projects.
- Helping clients identify key business questions and translate them into research questions and projects.
- Delivering briefings and webinars, and presenting our insights in conferences, meetups and events.
- Supporting the rest of the analyst team in their data and research quests as needed.
What skills we are looking for
- A data scientist who is also into data journalism, with a background in statistics, applied mathematics or computer science.
- An ability to tell signal from noise in the data, and answer the ‘so what?’ question behind the observed numbers and patterns.
- An ability to author data stories, comprehensively and in an unbiased way, with proven previous experience in authoring insights reports, blog posts or other published writing.
- Excellent writing skills (English), with the ability to communicate complex insights to non-technical audiences.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- At least basic programming skills, preferably in Python including Pandas.
- At least a basic grasp of clustering and classification methodologies and models.
- Ability to visualise data effectively, producing eye-catching and easy-to-understand graphs.
- Very good presentation skills.
- Comfortable working as part of a distributed team across four continents.
Bonus Points for
- Having software development experience as a hobby or past work.
- Advanced Python skills.
- Advanced data modelling skills.
- Past experience of working with complex survey data.
- Past experience of consulting clients on data projects.
- A passion for technology, and thorough understanding of how it’s impacting people’s lives.
Key success metrics
You will be successful in the role if in the first 6 months you have:
- Actively contributed in shaping the research agenda and questionnaire of the upcoming Developer Economics survey.
- Authored at least two research reports, carrying out all data analysis and background research as needed.
- Authored at least one blog post based on our survey data, showcasing our research and/or promoting our surveys.
- Delivered at least one client briefing or webinar to our high standards.
- Actively supported the rest of the analysts team, by reviewing other authors’ reports.
- Supported our developer outreach and sales teams, promptly responding to any requests relevant to your work.
- Become a dependable team mate.
What we offer
- Opportunity to make a difference as part of the leading research company in the developer economy
- Part of an entrepreneurial company that's raising the bar, and calling the trends of the developer economy
- Opportunity to work with some of the biggest tech brands in the world
- International team, great work atmosphere & flexible working environment
- Competitive salary + bonus twice yearly based on performance
- Come to work in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, or tie and a suit - we don't mind!
- You will never work on your birthday - we automatically give you this day off
- Annual training budget to develop your skills and career
- Monthly book allowance from Amazon, on any book you like
- Spotify Premium subscription or Netflix vouchers