ABOUT UNITED FOR RESPECT
United For Respect (UFR)
is a national organization building an industry voice of working people working for the country’s largest retail corporations. Through scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide family‐sustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media and our digital platform, WorkIt
— and bring the retail workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy. We are building the 21st Century labor movement, and we need Entry-Level Online-to-Offline Organizers who are passionate about workers’ rights and ready to build upon their strategic skill sets.
United for Respect’s Chief of Ops, People, and Culture (COPC)is a new leadership position intentionally designed to complement United for Respect’s Co-Executive Directors at a pivotal moment in the organization’s growth and a historic moment for the country. Reporting to one of the Co-Executive Directors and serving as her key strategic thought partner in the day to day operations of United for Respect, the COPC will play a vital role in supporting United for Respect’s sustainability and success.
The COPC will provide strategic leadership and daily management of organizational finance, HR, and IT functions, and will be responsible for ensuring that United for Respect has the internal systems and infrastructure in place to support our teams and enable the organization to continue growing in alignment with the Executive Directors’ vision. At the same time, the COPC will be a crucial steward of the organizational values and culture – championing United for Respect’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and fostering a culture of innovation, learning, accountability, and continuous improvement along with a dedicated group of colleagues equally committed to United for Respect’s shared values.
Our ideal candidate believes deeply in social justice and carries an unyielding conviction that transformative change is possible. They have significant experience as a cross-functional leader with exceptional strategic, financial, and operational acumen and a demonstrated talent for the continuous improvement of organizational teams, systems, and processes. They bring vision and practical wisdom to all facets of United for Respect and a proven ability to develop organizational capacity. Finally, the ideal candidate is a deeply collaborative leader with an engaging management style and ability to balance big picture strategy with immediate needs.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the Co-Executive Directors, ensuring that their strategic vision is successfully operationalized across United for Respect
- Play a key role in the development and implementation of a new organizational strategic plan
- Work collaboratively with United for Respect’s senior management team to promote overall organizational effectiveness
- Ensure effective communication of priority issues and projects and promote organizational learning across the organization
- Lead, mentor, hold accountable and supervise the Director of Finance and Director of People Operations & Culture fostering a culture of collaboration, learning, and innovation with staff across the country
- Identify new and current legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting the organization’s 501(c)3, (c)4, and (c)5 status as well as the human resources function (e.g., OSHA, EEO, ERISA, Wage & Hour) and direct the preparation and maintenance of information required for compliance and effective reporting
- Lead United for Respect’s financial strategy, ensuring short and long-term sustainability and alignment to the organization’s mission and goals
- Direct the development and implementation of short-term and long-term fiscal planning including annual budgeting and multi-year forecasting, ensuring the highest levels of fiscal responsibility
- Optimize United for Respect’s finance and accounting policies, financial controls, and compliance systems; implement policies and systems that model best practices in each of these areas
- Oversee compliance with lobbying regulations and reporting requirement, including navigating 501 c(3)/c4/c5 complexities
- Oversee ongoing efforts to increase financial literacy across the organization to promote effective budget management and develop internal leadership
Human Resources and Information Technology
- Own the vision and accountability for the annual performance of the organization’s People Ops/HR team ensuring they are aligned with United for Respect’s strategic priorities
- Create, manage and oversee DEI initiatives across the organization
- Identify opportunities for improved operational processes across the organization to streamline operations and implement increased standardization across United for Respect with an eye toward continuous process improvement
- Optimize People Ops/HR systems, ensure consistent implementations of People Ops/HR policies and procedures, and leverage opportunities to innovate and create efficiencies where possible
- Ensure the necessary technology, security protocols, and office infrastructure are in place to support United for Respect teams and safeguard data security
- Cultivate an organizational culture that reflects United for Respect’s deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; support a learning culture that engenders knowledge sharing, feedback, and continuous growth
- Lead and implement initiatives on best practices in organizational management, performance management, and leadership development
- 15+ years of senior management experience working cross-functionally across finance, operations, human resources, and IT in complex organizations; nonprofit experience strongly preferred
- Commitment to United for Respect’s mission and strong social justice orientation
- Demonstrated expertise in managing organizational financial activity and systems, including budgeting, multi-year forecasting, modeling, accounting, and reporting
- Proven ability to navigate complex nonprofit compliance and risk management issues; c3/c4/c5 experience preferred
- A strategic, analytical, and tactical thinker, with a record of success implementing strategic goals and priorities across an organization
- Comfort working in a highly collaborative, consensus-driven environment that values open communication and transparency
- Demonstrated passion for managing, developing, and coaching diverse teams; prioritizes building authentic and respectful relationships with all colleagues within an organization
- Ability to steward organizational culture including leading diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Confidence and capability to adapt and lead in a fast-paced, changing environment while also navigating ambiguity and change inherent to a fast-paced, evolving organization
- Effective and persuasive communicator, both oral and written, with exceptional emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills
- Possesses unquestionable personal and professional integrity, unwavering commitment to equity, and a growth mindset
- Innovative, creative, and willing to think outside of the box to develop solutions that meet United for Respect’s unique needs and support our high-performing team
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred
Salary Range:$100,000 - $170,000, depending on experience and location.
Competitive benefits package provided for full-time employees and eligible dependents, including health, dental, vision, and prescription coverage and 401k. Ability to travel is a must.
United for Respect is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community. United for Respect provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and in the subject line: COO-44.